Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Does God get pleasure out of Hell?

At Vinings Lake we are continuing our series called "The View" and this Sunday we will be dealing with the "View" of Eternity - Heaven and Hell.

I believe that so many people have the wrong view of heaven and the wrong view of who sends people to hell. I was watching some of Erwin McManus's message called "Hell?" and he brought out a great passage in Ezekiel 18. In this passage, God becomes very clear that it is not He who sends people to hell (v.25, 29) and that he takes "no pleasure in the death of anyone" (v.32).

It is interesting to note also that many people are offended by the judgement of hell because they say "How can a loving God send people to hell" - and in this passage God clearly says that it is the person that sends themselves there. It is the amazing Love of God that goes to the length of sending His Son Jesus to die for our sins so that we don't have to go to hell.

So you say, "what about the people that never hear about Jesus?" This is a good question and not one that most of us have not wondered. I do have an opinion, but that is it. I believe I can support it with some scripture, but as I read in a Theology book today, the Bible seems to be silent on that specific issue.

However, I would like to add another question - "What about our neighbors, co-workers, family members, and people around us that can hear?" Trust me, I point the finger at myself as well, but it is sort of interesting that we want to ask that question - almost putting some "responsibility" on God and His "system" to get the gospel there when in fact we as believers have been empowered and enlisted by Jesus to take the gospel to the ends of the earth - here and everywhere.

Just some thoughts.

No comments: