Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dr. Jerry Falwell



How does one man accomplish so much with the one life that was given to him?


Dr. Falwell was an amazing man. He made a difference in the lives of so many - I am one of those lives.

I was one of "Jerry's kids" as I attended Liberty University and I can remember the times that Dr. Falwell would give his "pep talks" to us as a student body. I remember him telling us to never quit - I specifically remember a time when he shared that he was discouraged and that he shared it with Macel. Hollie and I also had the awesome privilege to have Dr. Falwell take part in our wedding.

Dr. Falwell was a real man - but what makes him different than most people today? Why are more people not making the impact that he made? Is it because he was smart or had a lot of breaks or opportunities or other reasons? Is it just that God chose to bless him with something extra?

I believe that Dr. Falwell's amazing life is a tribute to the power of God first but also to a man who was willing, available, courageous, and made the absolute most of what was given to him. Dr. Falwell didn't waste anything that was given to him - influence, platform, time, talents, treasures, individuals, family, power, and his personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

I attended his funeral yesterday and I am challenged - I am challenged to make the most of my life. I am not Jerry Falwell, but I want to reach my full potential as Pete Hixson. I believe that it is up to God and to me. God makes Himself known and available - if I choose, I do believe that I can let my life be "normal" and even coast. But also, if I choose, I can believe, trust, and follow God - by making myself available, never quit, and make the absolute most with what I have been given.

No comments: