Saturday, September 1, 2007

God and children

Hollie and I and the kids are staying in a beach house outside of Jacksonville, FL. Last night, I had to really talk to Hope about obedience and that she really needed to change. Without me saying anything spiritual (I am pretty sure there was nothing "spiritual" about how I was feeling at the moment!) - when asked how she was going to change - she mentioned both "God" and "heart". This was very encouraging to me - to see that God is working in her life.

This morning I was talking with her some more about asking God to help her and something that puzzles me a little was her response when I told her that she needed to ask God to help her - she said she was afraid.

We haven't gotten much further yet, but today I was swimming in the ocean with her and I was telling her about how God made the ocean and the sky, clouds, etc. I am trying to tell her how much God loves her - and that she doesn't have to be afraid. She may not understand what she is saying about being "afraid" - but I still want to help her not be afraid.

Later today, I was thinking about it and realized that I sometimes view God this way - rather than a loving heavenly Father who loves me so much and goes to great lengths for me to know this (if I will only pay attention!).

Having children helps me relate to how God may feel at times with me. I want Hope (and Addie) to see God for who He really is - and God probably wants to give me ths same message!

No comments: